Our programsAcademic Programs Summer 2013 Class Schedule Housing & Student Life Travel Documents Fees & Deadlines Photo Gallery Questions & Answers Apply Now
Fall Semester 2013
This specially structured program takes place for 3 weeks of learning in Florence and 1 week of events in New York City. The program focus is event production from the perspectives of event management, communications & public relations, food & wine management, art direction. Final exams are held online in the 5th week. Alternately, NYC event week-only and final exam options are also offered, see below for details.
Program Details The Summer Post Graduate Apprenticeship program prepares students for supervisory and management positions in the world's largest and fastest growing industry. The Florence experience is a unique opportunity that is open only to a limited number of students who already possess a professional and advanced educational training in the culinary field.
APICIUS International School of Hospitality
APICIUS, offer professional certificate programs for motivated students seeking to develop new skills and knowledge while building a body of work and professional experience in an international learning environment.
Certificate Programs may be taken for one semester and one or two years. Each year consists of two “semesters” that offer a set of “core classes” and intensive weekend seminars. All study abroad programs devote a portion of each term to the development of a professional portfolio. Students opting for the two-year program have the opportunity to complete an internship and/or serve as a teaching assistant for introductory level courses.
APICIUS, reserve the right to modify certification requirements.
Free Elective study abroad programs (US credits) are available for study abroad students.
Credit transfer for all coursework is available through University of South Florida. For further information please contact us.
APICIUS offer full services to all enrolled students such as housing, advising, meal plans, extracurricular activities and service learning opportunities. Detailed information on these services can be found in the Housing and Student Life section on our website.
State Education Accreditation Number, Region of Tuscany: FI0362
APICIUS is certified by CERTIQUALITY S.r.l.-UNI EN ISO 9001:2008-Cert. n. 11440/1
- APICIUS reinterprets the concept of hospitality and tourism in the international destination of Florence, where the cityscape is teeming with traditional and contemporary structures sought by people from all over the world.
- APICIUS firmly believes in the importance of a cultural approach to hospitality by examining the unique context of cities and countries in a global framework.
- Hospitality should and must be enhanced by the local culture of a city, and our position and interaction within the city of Florence has the goal of culturally educating those who visit through the hospitality industry.
- APICIUS seeks to shape students who make dynamic, proactive contributions to the areas of hospitality in Italy during their studies and go on to become excellent professionals with the same impact in future destinations.
- APICIUS is deeply committed to making a prolific vital impact on the city of Florence not just for its obvious touristic aspects but as a viable city, where city conser vat ion and contemporar y implementat ion complement each other in a del icate balance, through i t s bel ief in eco- sus tainable methods and didactics.
- APICIUS strives to provide its students with an experience that goes beyond the tourist facade of Florence by communicating to them that who we are and what they experience goes beyond cultural stereotypes.
- APICIUS believes that each student should return home with a clear concept of Florence and Italy that includes a profound cultural understanding gained from integration with the city, its population, its art, and its culture. What they receive from the experience is a life changed and newfound understanding and perspectives that they will carry in their hearts for the rest of their lives.
- To provide a professional and academic environment in which students gain expertise in the areas of business, hospitality and tourism, culinary arts, wine studies, and publishing.
- To go beyond classroom learning by promoting student interaction with the convergence of the multicultural societies in the city of Florence, achieved by unique practical experiences in direct contact with service areas and the various professional figures who operate in these spheres.
- To redefine the idea of sustainability by rethinking how services and structures enhance local economies and culture through a respectful balance of technology, innovation, and tradition.
To positively direct Florence's position as a historic Italian cityscape in a globalized world economy in the following ways:
- Increase our efforts in favor of sustainable hospitality and tourism starting from our own structures and teaching methods.
- Promote student knowledge and capacity to recognize and actively participate in the conservation of the Florentine's cultural and economic heritage.
- To shape students for careers in a rapidly developing industry that encompasses a wide range of exciting, constantly evolving fields.
- To offer a passionate, highly competent and international faculty; a broad curriculum, and state of the art facilities that broaden our students' horizons and perspectives.
- To enhance the concept of technical learning by integrating training opportunities into the curriculum, allowing for students to be involved in cultural integration projects that require active participation in Florentine and Italian society and that reward challenging professional experiences. One such example is the professional internship program at Ganzo Cultural and Gastronomic Association open to the public, a place where cultures and communities unite.
- An academic structure based on lectures, workshops, seminars, and laboratories that activate diverse types of student engagement with study discipline.
- Exciting programs created for postgrad and professional studies offered for durations of 1, 2, and 4 years.
INTERNATIONAL SCH O O L OF HOSPITALITY
Note: All programs can be attended on a semester basis
ONE YEAR CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
BAKING AND PASTRY
The Baking and Pastry program is designed to train professional bakers and dessert makers with a strong background in Italian preparations.
Students receive a solid foundation of Italian cuisine that covers all aspects of professional cooking with an emphasis on Italian products, traditions, and
regionality. The goal of the Culinary Arts Certificate is to impart Italian taste, refinement and the origins of a cuisine with ancient and multi-cultural roots.
The Program in Hospitality Management offers international students a unique opportunity to specialize in the hospitality management, while studying in
one of tourism’s most challenging cities in the world.
WINE STUDIES AND ENOLOGY
The professional Wine Expertise curriculum trains wine experts who are qualified critics, salesmen and business managers ready to enter the wine industry.
TWO YEAR ASSOCIATE CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
Upon completion of the Culinary Arts or Baking and Pastry Certificates, students may continue their studies in the theoretic and practical knowledge of
Culinary Arts with a two year associate certificate. The subject of culinary arts will be examined from an advanced perspective in terms of cooking techniques
and preparations, scientific notions of nutrition and food knowledge, new areas such as cooking light and international cuisine will offer a more expansive
and exciting approach to food.
The two year associate certificate in Hospitality Management is open to all students who have completed any of the one-year certificate programs. The
program covers all aspects of the hospitality industry from management, tourism, housekeeping, to accounting and finances. Special emphasis is given
to special event management as well as hotel management and the social/cultural aspects of the Hospitality Industry in Italy.
FOUR YEAR ASSOCIATE CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT AND TOURISM
Upon completion of the 2-year Culinary Arts or Hospitality Management associate certificate, continuing students can complete a four-year program
aimed to create professional leaders in the international hospitality sector. Any student who has completed two years of college (60 semester hours) may
apply for admission to the four-year certificate.
post graduate programs
APPRENTICESHIP CERTIFICATES FOR POST GRADUATE STUDIES
The Summer Post Graduate Apprenticeship program prepares students for supervisory and management positions in the world's largest and fastest growing
industry. The Florence experience is a unique opportunity that is open only to a limited number of students who already possess a professional and advanced
educational training in the culinary field.
MASTER IN ITALIAN CUISINE
The program is one-year long and is aimed at celebrating the outstanding mastery of cuisine that has evolved in Italy over the centuries, the knowledge
of quality products, the ability to interpret recipes, the awareness of the historical background of dishes, and the capacity to match ingredients creating
balanced new dishes. The program is specifically designed for professional chefs, culinary gradutes, and hospitality graduates who wish to enhance
specific skills in culinary arts.
MASTER IN ORGANIZATIONAL MANAGEMENT with a concentration in International Tourism - in collaboration with Endicott College
This 39 credit program is a joint program offered in collaboration with Endicott College. Offered on a full-time basis, the program lasts for one year and is
held at the APICIUS facilities in Florence, Italy. Upon completion students will be granted a Master of Education by Endicott College’s School of Graduate
and Professional Studies. Please ask for a brochure or consult the Professional Studies section of our website for detailed information and to download the
application form. The email contact for this program is email@example.com